Re: WebDB opinions ?

From: Kim McCann <kim_at_portal.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:28:09 -0800

I finally gave up using WebDB and wrote my own WebDB like interface with php3. It is unfriendly, not to well thought out, and buggy as hell. I am using the Sparc / Solaris flavor (UNIX) which lags behind the NT version by a few revisions, but even under NT I have seen few improvements.

I recommend using OAS (Oracle Application Server) - though not as friendly and at a higher price point, it is far more flexible and allows far more control. The reporting options are much much better as well.

Good Luck.

Kim McCann

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am interested in hearing opinions on WebDB....
>
> I have been using v2.1 to produce some simple reports and forms to provide
> administrator functionality on an existing database. Simple things like
> adding, modifying and deleting users etc.
>
> WebDB does not seem to have anywhere near enough functionality.....
> For example it seems impossible when doing a form "insert" to populate
> columns in a table with programmatically set (i.e. no user interaction)
> values such as the current time and user name.
>
> I would be grateful if anyone who has successfully used this tool to produce
> forms that create rows with some user enetered data and some auto-generated
> data could share their experiences...
> Any good tutorials or learning resources?
>
> Thanks - Adam

> Adam Lipscombe Tel: (+44) 1225 323846
> Ingenta Ltd email:alipscombe_at_ingenta.com
> BUCS Building
> University of Bath
> Bath BA2 7AY
> U.K.

|              |  Kim I. McCann
|    ______    |  Systems Integration Consultant
|   |  __  |   |  Electronic Commerce Division
|   | |__| |   |  Western Internet Portal Services, Inc.
|   |  __  |   |  Suite #302 - 134 Abbott Street
|   | |  | |   |  Vancouver, BC  V6B 2K4
"1997 eCommerce was over $7.4 billion, by 2002 it will top $300 billion"
           - U.S. Department of Commerce 'Report on Electronic Commerce'