Re: Very slow initial connection

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:26:11 GMT

In article <953292154.10827.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> First try to isolate whether it's sqlnet or tcp/ip. Conduct a ms-dos
ping
> and/or a traceroute on the server. Also: are you using hardcoded IP
or some
> DNS resolution mechanism?
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> Robert Gale <robert.gale_at_porticoconsulting.co.uk> wrote in message
> > We've got an ISDN connection to Oracle and the first connection is
*VERY*
> > slow - i.e. takes 2 minutes. Data then travels quickly. Any
suggestions.

> > Robert.

Are all initial connections to the database slow or just via the ISDN link? The reason I ask is that if all the fine ideas Sybrand posted check out OK and you are ver 7.3, then you might want to check to see if any of the .dat files under your Oracle home are greater than 5M. You will find the .dat files under $ORACLE_HOME/otrace and maybe $ORACLE_HOME/network/trace. If any of the .dat files are over 5M you probably have a problem with otrace and Oracle support can provide you a procedure to re-initialize them and parameters to set otrace off. --
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Mar 17 2000 - 09:26:11 CST