Database object checksums, v7.3.4

From: Mark B <markb_at_mrb-basys.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 23:12:14 -0000

Oracle Serverr 7.3.4...

Does anyone know of a way I can easily generate a 'checksum' from the internal definition of any database object?

For PL/SQL, I called Oracle support asking if I could get access to the internal "signiture" used to determine whether or not packages, functions and procedures need recompiling when any related packages, etc. are recompiled. They couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me how to access them.

For those with UNIX knowledge, I'm trying to duplicate the "cksum" command, but within the database. I'd really rather not spool/dbms_output/utl_file the source and host a call to UNIX if it can be avoided - so I can make it platform independent and not have to worry about file system space for the spooled file.

I'm interested in checksums for the definitions of tables, views, sequences, indexes, etc. - the lot.

Any simple solutions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Mark Received on Thu Mar 16 2000 - 17:12:14 CST