Re: Perl code examples with OAS: Where can I find them

From: Hyper B Orean <hyper.b.orean_at_autonomous.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:08:58 +1100

For those types of PERL, you can use just use DBI and DBD::Oracle which are PERL database modules (library), usually you have to download it and install it into your PERL but for OAS purposes Oracle supplies it with the PERL it supplies in OAS. It sounds like you need to start right at the beginning with PERL and you should run out NOW and buy BOTH O'Reilly "Camel" books on PERL. (O'reilly is the publisher, any decent computer bookstore or Amazon etc will have them or go to their web site www.oreilly.com I think it is).

Standard PERL is well documented. Check http://www.perl.com/

But I can't recommend those two O'reilly books strongly enough. Start there. They are called 'Camel' books as they have a engraving of a Camel on the cover. Don't ask why. O'reilly is like that. But they are GOOD books, THE standard Perl References, much better than the Addison-Wesley etc crap.

The NIGHTMARE you will find is when you start to use the Oracle-supplied Perl libraries, for which you are totally dependant on Oracle and its buggy documentation for help and guidance (I have found outright beginner syntax-error type unrunnable code touted as functional examples in their documentation, as well as much more subtle errors). Frankly I believe that Oracle should SHOOT whoever wrote the doc for OAS. Its not just the Perl doc but also the Java doc I have also found hopeless errors throughout (didn't go near the other other cartridges but i wouldn't be surprised if it was the same). Don't ever take their supplied examples as gospel, if you get problems, triple-check the example code first!!!

Actually, if anyone has a good reference to further documentation about those Oracle PERL libraries please let me know (in email !) as I am desparate to find good working code especially in using the ICXRequest WAO (for PERL/liveHTML).

regs
hbo