Re: WTD: Top Reasons Why or Why Not to Upgrade from 7.3.4 to 8.

From: <dwb1_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:45:47 GMT

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Connor McDonald wrote:

> Wittling wrote:
> >
> > We'd also like to know, at a birds-eye view, what the main differences are
> > between the two releases. Performance obviously, but I hear there is a
> > difference when it comes to hot backups, etc. Can anyone throw a few more
> > in the bucket?
>
> Both Oracle 8 and 8i have a "getting to know" section in the doco which
> contains the major new functions that are included.
>
> If you are looking at migrating from 7 (which I recommend) I would also
> recommend 8i over 8.

We're in the process of upgrading oracle 7.3.4 servers to oracle 8 as well. But we've chosen 8 over 8i because I have yet to be able to compile the perl DBD::Oracle using 8i client libraries, and have been unable to find any online resources relating to it.

Otherwise we'd love to use 8i.... I heard yesterday that oracle 9 is in the works too...

Dan. Received on Thu Mar 16 2000 - 04:45:47 CST