Re: convert LONG to CLOB ?

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 18:52:03 GMT

In article <38CFB723.4E1D608C_at_fast.no>, kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a DB with several LONG fields for things like news stories,
etc.
> I want to use InterMedia to make the DB searchable, but I think I will
> need to convert all these LONGs to CLOBs. Can anyone confirm whether
> this is necessary - the InterMedia docs say "Storing data in the
> deprecated column types of LONG and LONG RAW is supported only for
> migrating Oracle7 systems to Oracle8."
>
> If I have to convert them, how do I do it? The link to this
information
> in the InterMedia docs was broken (I can't find it again to say where
> the link was)

you can

create table New_table as select a, b, c, to_lob(long_column) d from old_table;

to convert them in Oracle8i, release 8.1.

--
Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/index.html --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Mar 15 2000 - 12:52:03 CST