Inserting IS Very Very Slow - Why?

From: Ken Sproule <kenmn_at_tds.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:45:04 GMT

Thanks to all who help, even to those who merely try.

Now please understand that I am assuming I have done something wrong or haven't done something I should.

I have a C++ program using MS's ADO. It constructs a string that is used in an ADO command object and is as follows (table and column names are spurious, but data types are correct ).

"INSERT INTO MyTable(
NUM_1 , -- NUMBER(4,0)

CHAR_1 ,  -- CHAR(10)
STRING_1 , -- VARCHAR(40)
 DATE_1  , -- DATE
NUM_2 ,  -- NUMBER(6,0)
	NUM_3 ,  -- NUMBER(6,0)

CHAR_2 , -- CHAR(4)
CHAR_3 , -- CHAR(4)
NUM_4 , -- NUMBER(6,0)
 NUM_5 , -- NUMBER(6,0)
CHAR_4 ,  -- CHAR(3)
 NUM_6, -- NUMBER(3,0)

 STRING_2, -- VARCHAR2(15)
 STRING_3 ) -- VARCHAR2(40)
values( ........ );

The constraints on the table are as follows:

CONSTRAINT PK_ MyTable

        PRIMARY KEY (CHAR_1 , DATE_1 ),
CONSTRAINT FK_ MyTable _ NUM_4

	FOREIGN KEY (NUM_4 )
	REFERENCES MyTable_2),
CONSTRAINT FK_ MyTable _ CHAR_4
	FOREIGN KEY (CHAR_4)
	REFERENCES MyTable_3 CHAR_4 ),
CONSTRAINT FK_ MyTable _ CHAR_3
	FOREIGN KEY (CHAR_3)
	REFERENCES MyTable_4(CHAR_3)

The inserts set off a trigger that stuffs some variables into another Table, but that table is rather small ( i.e. 50 rows and 80 columns).

AnyWay this routines has been running about 3 ½ hours and has only inserted about 7,300 records.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for your help!

Sincerely,

Ken Sproule
kenmn_at_tds.net

Ken Sproule
kenmn_at_tds.net Received on Tue Mar 14 2000 - 15:45:04 CST