Oracle Error Using BarTender Tool. ORA-00928. Why?

From: Eric Givler <egivler_at_nttc.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:58:43 GMT

I'm trying to use Seagull Software's BarTender 6.0 to create Barcode labels based on an Oracle datasource. when I select 3 tables to use for retrieving information to place on the label, I end up with an Oracle Error after joining the columns together. The tool displays columns that I can join, and then writes the SQL. Unfortunately, the SQL does not appear to be correct. I passed on a SQL.LOG from an ODBC capture, and the developer at Seagull responded with:

Okay, here is what my guy found:

According to the log file, BarTender is generating the following select statement:

SELECT Count(*) FROM ("MOUNTAINMADE_PRODUCT" INNER JOIN
"MOUNTAINMADE_VARIANT" ON "MOUNTAINMADE_PRODUCT"."PF_ID" =
"MOUNTAINMADE_VARIANT"."PF_ID") INNER JOIN
"MOUNTAINMADE_PRODUCT_INVENTORY" ON "MOUNTAINMADE_VARIANT"."SKU" =
"MOUNTAINMADE_PRODUCT_INVENTORY"."SKU"
ODBC receives the following error from the Oracle driver:

      DIAG [NA000] [Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-00928: missing SELECT keyword (928)

Comments:

I don't see anything wrong with the select statement. Does the customer know why the Oracle driver does not like the statement. Can the customer determine what error ORA-00928 means.

I told them that the SQL was not compatible with Oracle, and should read:

SELECT P.PF_ID PRODUCT_ID,
       P.NAME  PRODUCT_NAME,
       v.retail_price  retail_price,
       V.SKU   SKU,
       I.SERIAL_NUMBER SERIAL_NUMBER
FROM SITESERVER.MOUNTAINMADE_PRODUCT p,
     SITESERVER.MoUNTAINMADE_VARIANT v,
     SITESERVER.mountainmade_product_inventory i
where p.pf_id=v.pf_id
and v.sku=i.sku

(or something similar). Is the statement that their code produced DEPENDENT on the ODBC driver, or is it something their product wrote? Also, that code looks like an MS Access join statement to me - is that ANSI standard SQL and Oracle's SQL is not ANSI standard? (that doesn't seem right to me).

Can someone iron out this situation and let me know what to pass on to their developers? I'd just like to use the product to run against an Oracle datasource with multiple tables in the join. I tried creating a view on the Oracle side and the tool showed 2 columns for every 1 when I viewed it. Strange.

Ideas????

and Thanks! Received on Tue Mar 14 2000 - 12:58:43 CST