Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: DNP <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:13:39 +0000

As a famous author in the U.K. said :-

"There's lies, damned lies and statistics."

TPC is all well and good, but does it take into account systematic shortcomings of the producst which happen periodically (but certainly probably not during an intensive test).

Another thing TPC calcs don't take into account is vendor-technology-churn risk. I.e. is Microsoft still going to be actually selling and supporting the products and OS versions used here in 3 yrs time? If there's any doubt, then the cost to upgrade has to be taken as a total cost of ownership hence total cost of transaction performance.

I don't need statistics to guide me towards good products, I prefer first hand recommendations.

David P.