Re: Table Design Question

From: Sean <dolans_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:27:28 GMT

Sybrand,

   You mentioned that this is from a live sample, is this sample available to view?

   Does this structure only allow for 3 levels deep? Or does it allow for an infinite number of levels deep?

Any examples of SQL statements to manipulate a hierarchy like this?

Thanks so much for your help as I feel this will definitely get me started in the right direction!

Sean

In article <952979872.28946.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> productid
> product_description
> parent_productid
> root_productid -- denormalized to allow for the connect by not
available in
> joins, the 'root' of the product tree.
> Abstracted from a live example.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> Sean <dolans_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > I am curious of the best way to approach this design. If you had
> > products and then subproducts and then further subproducts, how
would
> > you lay out the table? Multiple? Or one table with a "Parent"
product
> > entry? For example : Printers:HP:4Si:Toner
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Mar 13 2000 - 15:27:28 CST