Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Gene Homan <homang_at_pcisys.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:30:24 -0700

Norris (and other Windows folks),

I don't want you to take this the wrong way because I am not a Windows hater by any means (use quite a bit of 95/98 and NT myself in my work), but I think what we should be discussing here is the root of the problem with Microsoft's announcement.

I just can't see who is going to run a setup like the one used by Microsoft in this benchmark. We are talking about a multi-node (in this case 12) setup with a separate install of SQL Server on each node and a database split across each installation with custom distributed views to pull the needed information from all the scattered parts. It works like a bat out of hell as long as all parts are active, but one node hiccups (and come on, we are talking NT here. I like it but even 2000 gives the blue screen of death at will) and this database is useless.

There is no built-in redundancy in this case and the availability decreases as the number of nodes increases. Frankly, Microsoft is trying to redefine a common IT term again to suit their needs (in this case it's clustering).

No one running a 24x7 setup would ever go for something like this.

And again, it was pitted against a single Solaris box running a single 8i instance.

SQL Server has its place, but the VLB/high-availability arena is just not it.

Just my $0.02.

Later,
Gene....