Questions about (n)(var)char(2)

From: J. Park <johan_park_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:49:33 +0100

I'm learning oracle, i't is going slow
but I'm making some progress.
I've been reading about the different datatypes and have some questions about the character types.

Question 1:
The varchar2 and nvarchar2 datatypes are variable-length fields, what does that mean ? If I make a field 1000 characters long and I put only 1 character in it, it would take only 1 character in the database instead of 1000 characters ?

Question 2:
Is there a reason to use char type ? or is it always better to use varchar2 type. Are char types faster to index / search ?

Question 3:
nvarchar2 is for support of multi-byte character set ??? what does that mean ? is that for support of special characters (é, ë, etc....) ?

thanks in advance,
Johan Received on Mon Mar 13 2000 - 04:49:33 CST