Re: ODBC and Oracle

From: Mike Layng <mlayng_at_micromine.com.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:40:43 +0800

Hi Brian,

> > MSDN article Q115713.
>
> Are you using Microsoft's ODBC drivers or Oracle's? And are you
> connecting using the Microsoft Access Database Engine as the article
> suggests?

I am using Oracle's (8.???) driver and am currently using the Access (Jet) engine.

> I like one of the resolutions of this article: "Remove all duplicate
> tables and synonyms from the Oracle database."

Removing all duplicates was an option that we considered. The only problem with this approach is that the product is a commercial one that just sits on top of our users database. We do not want to place this restriction on our customers if we can help it.

> As for solving your problem... Since you can't reference an ambiguous
> table or synonym name, why not create a unambiguous synonym for the
> tables? For instance, if I owner SCOTT and owner JOHN that both have a
> DEPT table, instead of using SCOTT.DEPT and JOHN.DEPT, create two
> synonyms called SCOTT_DEPT and JOHN_DEPT that point to the respective
> tables. Then call that "unique" synonym in your code.

The database structure in question is accessed by many programs (some of which are quite old) and I am reluctant to change the names (or synonyms) of tables within the structure.

I have sort of resigned myself to the fact that I am going to have to make the provision to include the owner name in my SQL strings. Hopefully I can write a parser class that can just be called whenever an SQL string is constructed. I would definitely fell a lot safer with this approach.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Mike. Received on Sun Mar 12 2000 - 18:40:43 CST