Re: PO on Rel 11i Beta

From: bob sullivan <bsullivn_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 02:40:05 GMT

"Thomas A. Perkins, C.P.M." wrote:
> Thanks for the [grim] input :-) but wasn't the performance better?

Actually, the performance took a major nosedive for us :( Our DBA/sysadmin spent about a month pulling out his hair, tuning everything he could think of, trying to get better performance. He brought in tuning consultants from Oracle Consulting, and OS performance consultants from HP... It was pretty ugly for a while there.

I don't know the specifics of the eventual fix (I'm just an apps programmer), but it had something to do with the R11 self-serve web apps hogging system resources... The good news for you is that we upgraded to 11.02 in the first wave, last year at about this time. We'd open TARs with Support, and unfortunately, most of the Support people at that point were less familiar with R11 than we were... Obviously, that won't be the case with your upgrade, although if you go to 11i soon after it's first released... Well, you may experience something similar.

> Did
> the users find any apps interfaces that had changed drastically? It is
> my understanding that most aspects "look" the same, but the background
> processes (not to mention the 3-tier architecture) work much better in
> most implementations. So why were the users screaming?

The biggest change (apart from the initial performance problems) was the switch to 'floating forms', i.e., each form you open is in its own window. So as you open forms, when you eventually get to the form you want, instead of having one Oracle Apps icon down in the start bar tray, you have an icon for every single form you've opened already. That takes a little getting used to for users, but they do get acclimated to it after a while. It's a bit more confusing when you've got more than one instance up (production and development, for example)... I find myself checking 'Help->About Oracle Apps' with just about every form to make sure I'm working in the right instance...

As for performance overall, after the DBA figured out the problem with the self-serve web apps, I'd say the performance is about back to the point it was when we were on 10.7. Not noticeably faster, IMO. Received on Fri Mar 10 2000 - 20:40:05 CST