Re: Moving from MS to Oracle

From: Graduate Associates Ltd <phatcher_at_terra.cix.co.uk>
Date: 2000/03/09

We work mainly with client-side or fabricated recordsets since the users will 'sit' on records for an extended period of time.

Due to the nature of the app, most of the SQL has to be dynamic i.e. optional where clauses depending on what the user is doing. As there are over 2000 SQL statements, moving all of these to stored procs is not an option since we have to support Jet as well. Some of this may change over time but we are in the usual position of "if I want to go there, I wouldn't start from here" :-)

There are a couple of interface DLL; one takes a specification for a recordset and returns the 'best' match; there's some gotchas if you let ADO do it. The other emits vendor specific SQL depending on the engine with some extensions that I designed e.g. Oracle doesn't support a generic DateAdd function, but will quite happily add days to a date so we coded around it for the cases we required.

The only major problem I have ATM is these joins!

Regards

Paul Hatcher, MCSD
Principal Consultant
Graduate Associates Ltd Received on Thu Mar 09 2000 - 00:00:00 CST