Re: HELP! Double the memory, now where to put it?

From: <tandym_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 14:44:58 GMT

This server does nothing but run three instances (two dev and one prod) of oracle 7.3.3.6 and serve out the forms (still char-mode) for a Customer Information database. There is now 8GB of RAM total on the machine, 2402 MB reserved for Oracle. The db_block_size is 8192 and the db_block_buffers is 123940 = 968 MB for the DB Buffer Cache. A buddy of mine was aghast and told me that he thought that was too big - I have no clue. We tried to change the init param (db_block_buffers) and make it larger, but the db would not start back up. He thought perhaps there's a VMS specific limitation on memory size?

Also - the init file says that you need to set an IFILE param for working with multiple instances - this is my first time working with more than one instance on a machine, does anyone know about this either? Thanks for all the help.

sonya

In article <RwLx4.8$fv6.1393_at_newreader.ukcore.bt.net>,   "Kevin A Lewis" <Kevin_A_Lewis_at_Hotmail.com> wrote:
> Remember to let the OS have some memory free for it's purposes. You
should
> get used to this and watch for memory swapping and other memory
management
> activity.
>
> Also you need to be more generous with memory on the machine if other
> applications or users are on the mahcine than just Oracle and its use
as a
> server.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD) - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich
United

> > I just recently started working for a new client and they were
> > concerned with performance issues and ordered another 4GB of memory
for
> > their alpha OpenVMS 7.1 server (oracle 7.3.3.6).
> >
> > Currently they have allocated 1201 MB to Oracle. The entire server
> > currently has 4 GB. They will be upgrading this to 8 GB and want to
> > double the size allocated to oracle to 2401 MB.
> >
> > I have little experience with tuning memory, and so am at a loss...
> > have checked the cahce-hit ratio for the DB Buffer Cache, the
Library
> > cache, and the data dictionary cache and they all are operating
> > somewhere between 93% - 98%. During peak hours of day, they have
have
> > as little as 2 mb of free memory when I query the v$sgastat view.
> >
> > What do I do with all of this memory? Where would you guys put it
if
> > you had it? I am aware that making the SGA too big can make
> > performance worse, but how do I know what's too big? Please help
me on
> > this one.
> >
> > sonya
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Mar 09 2000 - 08:44:58 CST