HELP! Double the memory, now where to put it?

From: <tandym_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 18:16:58 GMT

I just recently started working for a new client and they were concerned with performance issues and ordered another 4GB of memory for their alpha OpenVMS 7.1 server (oracle 7.3.3.6).

Currently they have allocated 1201 MB to Oracle. The entire server currently has 4 GB. They will be upgrading this to 8 GB and want to double the size allocated to oracle to 2401 MB.

I have little experience with tuning memory, and so am at a loss... I have checked the cahce-hit ratio for the DB Buffer Cache, the Library cache, and the data dictionary cache and they all are operating somewhere between 93% - 98%. During peak hours of day, they have have as little as 2 mb of free memory when I query the v$sgastat view.

What do I do with all of this memory? Where would you guys put it if you had it? I am aware that making the SGA too big can make performance worse, but how do I know what's too big? Please help me on this one.

sonya

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Mar 08 2000 - 12:16:58 CST