Re: Oracle Installer Problems

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:59:17 GMT

I know that you already resolved the problem, but I thought I'd post a "workaround" in case it rears it's ugly head again for you or someone else.

I've had occurences when trying to reinstall Oracle software that was holding on to it's dll files. I've even seen this after I set all services to Manual start and rebooted the machine. What I did was find the dll files and rename them to something like filename.dll.old using Explorer. Even though you can't overwrite or delete the file, NT still lets you rename it. Whatever was holding on to the dll file is now holding on to the dll.old file instead. You can now reinstall your software. When you are done, reboot your machine. Whatever wanted the dll file will now grab your new one. Go back and delete the dll.old files you have hanging around.

HTH,
Brian

--

Brian Peasland