Databases and Enterprise Storage

From: Doug Coan <dcoan_at_aegonusa.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 13:43:26 GMT

(also posted on comp.databases.oracle.servers)

Question for the big shops out there. Our company is currently reviewing the potential of Enterprise storage options.

We currently use a mixture of partially/fully dedicated EMC, COMPAQ and SSA for our database servers. We have about 50 Oracle servers (NT, SUN, AIX) with @100 instances as small as 500M and as large as 1 TB. A couple of 2-3 TB databases will be here soon.

Any comments for/against loading all this up on a SINGLE (probably EMC) FRAME ALONG WITH all our file servers, print servers, application servers, MSSQL servers, Sybase servers, web servers, mainframe systems, VIC 20s :-) , etc.....

You can imagine the stance I am taking from a common sense DBA perspective as my minor dealing with only partially dedicated DASD has been horrendous. But, I wonder if anyone out there actual lives in this type of environment. I would like to share your stories (good or bad) with our decision makers and perhaps learn if there are some tpis/tricks which make this remotely feasable.

Thanks much........

--
Doug Coan
Oracle Certified Professional DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Mar 08 2000 - 07:43:26 CST