Unable to Import data...

From: John Smith <johnsmith_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:34:39 -0800

Greetings one and all,

I have run into a problem with excessive fragmentation and a large number of extents on my database (which I inherited about 3 months ago). It was suggested that I export the data, recreate the database and then import from the dump file.

I am running Oracle 6 (okay, quit laughing) on a Sparc (unix) and have exported all the data to a dmp file using the following command...

exp system/'password' buffer=50000 full=y file=full.dmp grants=y indexes=y

I then created a new database...

    SQLDBA> startup nomount
    ORACLE instance started.
    SQLDBA> connect internal
    Connected.
    SQLDBA> create database

         2> controlfile reuse;
    Statement processed.
    SQLDBA> exit
    SQL*DBA complete.

I then tried to Import the .dmp file using the following command...

imp system/manager buffer=50000 full=y file=full.dmp ignore=n grants=y indexes=y commit=y

Here is the result...

Import: Version 6.0.27.8.1 - Production on Tue Mar 7 11:03:38 2000 Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1989. All rights reserved.

Connected to: ORACLE RDBMS V6.0.27.8.1, transaction processing option - Production
PL/SQL V1.0.28.1.0 - Beta

IMP-00003: ORACLE error 942 encountered ORA-00942: table or view does not exist System error message: Bad file number
IMP-00023: Import views not installed, please notify your DBA IMP-00000: Import terminated with error

So, now I have no data. (Yes I have a backup so don't worry about that)

Where have I gone wrong? How do I export/import in order to eliminate my fragmentation?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Cheers,
W. McCarthy Received on Tue Mar 07 2000 - 13:34:39 CST