Re: Microsoft destroys TPC-C records!

From: Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer <Casper.Dik_at_Holland.Sun.Com>
Date: 7 Mar 2000 14:56:49 GMT

[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]] Jose Pina Coelho <bofh_at_mail.teleweb.pt> writes:

>Werner wrote:
>> Here's another Microsoft "first" for you too, symbolic links!
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/02-28w2k.asp

>This is shared /usr, a technology deployed by IBM on AIX 3.2
>and abandoned because it was not practical nor robust.

Aka "dataless clients" as used in SunOS 4 (1990 and earlier).

You can still install those with Solaris though it's officially not supported; the internal disks of systems have grown faster than the OS so it became increasingly uninteresting.

Unless, perhaps, you have local data on desktops which is pretty much a NO-NO.

(Ah, that explains why they want to do this in Windows 2000 :-)

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems. Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may be fiction rather than truth. Received on Tue Mar 07 2000 - 08:56:49 CST