Oracle LONG datatype

From: Joseph Simes <jsimes_at_s-way.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 03:05:08 GMT

Hello,

I am mystefied. Is there no easy way to pass large quantities of text to a LONG field in Oracle. I am trying to upscale a Cold Fusion application from NT/Microsoft Access to Solaris/Oracle and the Access database uses many MEMO fields. Oracle is telling me (along with the database administrator) that I can only write/retrieve 2000 characters to/from a LONG field at a time. What a pain. My db administrator has pointed me to some rather complex C code that will bind the data to a larger data chun (whatever that means) but his sample code is way over my head.

What is the purpose of a LONG field that can hold 2 gigabytes of data if you can only write 2000 characters at a time to it. Geeze there has to be an easire way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks a bunch,

Joe Simes

Elysium Arts