Re: oas installation

From: Joel Racicot <joelracicot_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 13:21:20 GMT

Aaahhh, welcome to the wondeful world of Designer.

Seriously, the problems they run into with Designer are exactly what you mentioned. They try to please everyone, by cramming all these features and promissing all kinds of functionality, and then they fail to test it all thoroughly. I get the feeling some days that their turning into that company from Redmond.

From what I'm reading in these newsgroups, it seems that Oracle is now taking the same approach as MS and asking us, the paying customers, to be their beta testers with our production environments. A classic example of this was the upgrade from Designer 1.3.2 to Designer 2.1. That move locked up 125 process models due to changes in the underlying structure of the repository and the fact that the PM tool is a weak sister in the toolset. To this day, these diagrams sit in our repository as a reminder that trying to keep up with the releases can be a horror story. On the other hand, some of the upgrades have resolves some issues for us.

I guess the bottom line in all this is set up a separate integration environment and test, test, test and then repeat until you're sure you won't have nightmares.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth.

Joel