Problem Connecting to Oracle with JDBC

From: Gonzalo Quintanar <gq_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 08:47:57 GMT

I am writing a stand-alone Java application (not a servlet or applet) on machine A, which should access an Oracle database on machine B, using JDBC. Oracle 7.3.7 is installed on machine A, and Oracle 8 is installed on machine B. When I run my application on machine A, I get the following SQLException:
"No more data to read from socket."

Here is the relevant code (the exception is thrown in the second line):

Class.forName( "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver" ); conn
iverManager.getConnection(
"jdbc:oracle:thin:@machineB.myCompany.com:1521:ORAID", "user", "passwd" );

If I run the application from machine B, (and access the machine A database) it works fine. Could the problem be that I need to load the OracleDriver class object for Oracle 8 rather than Oracle 7 on machine A? If so, how do I do this? Do I need to install the Oracle 8 driver on machine A, or can I somehow load the driver remotely from machine B?

Any help/suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gonzalo. Received on Sat Mar 04 2000 - 02:47:57 CST