Listener

From: billr <robillardbNOroSPAM_at_psns.navy.mil.invalid>
Date: 2000/03/03

Listener hangs/misbehaves after installing 7.3.4.5 database upgrade. We followed the instructions on the Oracle site for upgrading to this patch release.

On one (Solaris) box with several instances (two using MTS, two using Dedicated only) after making listener.ora change for a new instance that was just upgraded to 7.3.4.5 we started receiving 12500 error msgs saying that a dedicated session could not be created on one of the other instances.Could not create any dedicated sessions until listener was stop/started - then everything seems to be ok.

On another (Solaris) box with three instances (one MTS and two dedicated) we upgraded two of the instances to 7.3.4.5 and left the other one (the ded session guy who is at 7.2.2) alone. Did not reload or stop/start the listener. Things were ok for about 12 hour or so and then the most active of the newest upgraded instances started having problems. No one could connect through MTS. No alert msgs, no trace files. Sometimes, a connection WOULD go throught but 99% wouldn't. I stop/started the listener and everything came back ok and has been ok.

Wondering if there is something peculiar about this patch or should we have "automatically" assumed that we needed to stop/start the listener after the upgrade. We wonder if there is some sort of problem that is going to come back from time to time.