Re: CASE tools

From: M. Armaghan Saqib <armaghan_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/03/03

Yes thats true about Oracle Designer. There was a heated debate on Designer
quality issues on ODTUG-DES2K-L mailing list.

Oracle promises that new version (6.5 due to out in a couple of months) will
be a revolution in terms of previous records of quality.

I am one of the fans of Oracle designer despite all its bugs and anxiously
waiting for this release. I have simple not found a product which matches
its feature set.

regards,
M. Armaghan Saqib

+---------------------------------------------------------------
 +---------------------------------------------------------------
+---------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_DELETECAPSusa.net> wrote in message news:xPmv4.144$J4.5141_at_wormhole.dimensional.com...
> There were good things about Designer. But I've been struggling with
 it
> since 1.3 and finally decided it wasn't worth it. It's still just too
 buggy
> and crashed on our NT desktops all the time. Thank heaven for the
 immediate
> commits it always issues to its repository (an Oracle database), or we
 would
> have lost tons of work. We decided to find something else. We
evaluated
(as
> best we could given a limited timeframe) 5 or 6 CASE tools.
>
> We looked at numerous object and data modeling tools, especially
focusing
on
> robustness, ease of reverse and forward engineering with Oracle 8 and
 8i,
> extensibility to other databases, and intuitive interface. We found
 all
> these and more in ERStudio from www.embarcadero.com. It kicks the
hineys
of
> the other modeling and software repository tools we looked at. It's
 not as
> full featured as Popkin's Software Architect, but then again, it
 doesn't
> crash and haven't untold numbers of bugs like the SA2000 either. ERWin
> didn't make our cut. ERStudio does not have a robust shared repository
 like
> Designer does, but they're working on that for a release sometime this
 year.

> We're just a small Oracle/Java shop (now with a Sybase DB in the mix -
 -
> thank goodness we went for cross-DB compatability), so take it for
what
it's
> worth. We're quite happy with ERStudio.
>
> - bill c.
>
> "Jerra" <jerra_at_aland.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I'm looking for a good CASE tool. I've understood that Oracles own
 product
> > is quite expensive.
> > Does anyone of you have good experience from using some 3rd party
 CASE
 tool?

> > Unix enviroment.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > J Dahlblom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Mar 03 2000 - 00:00:00 CST