Re: How to distribute an Access Database Client with an ODBC connection to Oracle

From: Larry Linson <larry.linson_at_ntpcug.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 03:27:38 GMT

 Mark A Long <mark.a.long_at_boeing.com> wrote:

> So my question is can the set up of a local ODBC be done in some
> kind of script perhaps with the Access Developers tool kit? It
> appears when I set up my local ODBC some entries are made to a
> file called ODBC.ini in the registry. Can this be automated in
> the developers tool kit?. I don't want to have to guide 100+ users
> through the ODBC setup process. Can Access utilize an ADO connection?

I do some work on a project where Informix is accessed via ODBC from Access 2, using InterSolv's ODBC drivers. The users all have Access 2 installed, so no runtime is distributed, but there are some third-party libraries, as well. They (nota bene: I did not do the packaging) use Wise InstallMaster to package the installation which can be downloaded or transported on a CD and will install all the needed software, including the ODBC drivers.

Access 97 can utilize ADO if you use unbound forms, retrieve your information via code, and duplicate many functions that Access provides for you with bound forms. Access 2000 can utilize ADO, provided all you want are the features that actually are available, which are not nearly all that should be. But you'd be well advised to wait to see what issues are resolved by the rumored Service Release 1 before jumping feet first into that tar pit. Why do you ask? Do you think it would be simpler to lead all those users through installing the MDAC 2.x than it would be to lead them through installing ODBC?

--
 L. M. (Larry) Linson
  Access example databases at http://homestead.deja.com/user.accdevel   New: Book reviews, previously published in North Texas PC News   Script execution must be enabled and Windows set to Small Fonts

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Mar 03 2000 - 21:27:38 CST