How to distribute an Access Database Client with an ODBC connection to Oracle

From: Mark A Long <mark.a.long_at_boeing.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 23:02:29 GMT

We have some Access databases that connect to Oracle via ODBC. In the past we have used a product called Simba that manages all the connections from a server with a small installation on the client. As we have built more applications we are finding Simba to be very slow mostly in the initial connection. And the licensing to be very costly. If I set up an Oracle 8 ODBC on my local machine the performance is 9 times faster not to mention cheaper.

So my question is can the set up of a local ODBC be done in some kind of script perhaps with the Access Developers tool kit? It appears when I set up my local ODBC some entries are made to a file called ODBC.ini in the registry. Can this be automated in the developers tool kit?. I don't want to have to guide 100+ users through the ODBC setup process. Can Access utilize an ADO connection?

Thanks Received on Fri Mar 03 2000 - 17:02:29 CST