Max open cursors

From: Chad Sheley <csheley_at_usa.capgemini.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:12:51 -0600

I'm wondering how far I can increase the OPEN_CURSORS parameter on my Oracle 8.05 database until some different problem comes up besides "Max Open Cursors Exceeded"?

I have a Java class that is reading some records from a file, doing some validation and then calling a series of stored procedures to insert the data into 4 tables.

I've had the same problem on other similar processes and just kept incrementing the OPEN_CURSORS parameter to the current setting of 5000.

I'm not even real sure if 5000 is some incredibly excessive number!

I should also mention that we've added COMMITs in the Java code at various places to try and circumvent the problem, to no avail. Am I missing something here too? I thought a COMMIT would release the cursor resources.

Is there anything else to try for this situation, or should I just keepin incrementing OPEN_CURSORS?

Chad Sheley
Senior Consultant
Cap Gemini
Des Moines, IA Received on Fri Mar 03 2000 - 15:12:51 CST