Re: Newbie Question: field length

From: Tom Zamani <tomz_at_redflex.com.au>
Date: 2000/03/02

If you think that you would needto identify if the address is home address, work etc, then you need to breakup your table into few more tables. This is how I would have done it.
each table has its'own PK eg address_type_id, address_id phone_type_id, phone_id and person_id
one table for

    address_types (Home, Work, firend ....)     adress (address_type_id FK)

    phone_type (Home, Work, firend ....)     phone (Phone_type_id FK)

    person
    peron_id
    phon_id (FK)
    adress_id (FK)

Ingeneral I would recomand varchar it is easy and you do not have to be wory about extra space.

 Good Luck
Tom