Re: Oracle capacity

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/03/02

Aaron Rivers wrote:

> I am working on designing an insurance software solution with a radical
> database design in the background. Can anyone tell me if Oracle could
> handle a book of business of theoretically 1 million policies. Could it
> handle storing 1 million policies? From a workload perspective, there may
> be transaction on about 15% of those policies a day ( entries, updates,
> etc.). Is this something that an Oracle database could support?
> What is the cost estimate for obtaining a "vanilla" Oracle database to use
> for an insurance solution?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thank you.
>
> Aaron
>
> adrivers_at_worldnet.att.net

1 million policies will not pose a problem in the slightest (assuming good design, application code etc etc)..The size in itself will not cause dramas - people have done much (much) larger things...

You can download Oracle for free for evaluation purposes from technet.oracle.com - after that its time to talk turkey with the Oracle license people...

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse