execute more than one statement at the same time in a session ?

From: Stephan Born <stephan.born_at_beusen.de>
Date: 2000/03/02

Hello!

This is what I want to do:

In my application we have a extra thread with its own db-connection. Within this session I call dbms_alert.waitany with timeout of 5 seconds at the moment,
for that I can end the application with no long waiting time....maximal 5 seconds.
After that timeout I call dbms_alert.waitany again and again....

But I do not like this 'polling'. I like to call dbms_alert.waitany without any timeout
and end the waiting at the end of the application with sending a signal by my own.

This would be no problem, if I would create a new session, send the signal, commit ond close this session immediately. Then my thread would end and I could end my application controlled.

BUT....I do not want to create a new session just for sending a signal!!!

Is it possible by definition of ORACLE to listen for an alert on a session in a thread AND
send a signal with commit in the SAME session but from another thread.

Im working on WinNT 4, MSVC 5, Oracle 7.3 and up

Thank you in advance,

Rergards, Stephan Born

Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Stephan Born | beusen Consulting GmbH fon: +49 30 549932-0 | Landsberger Allee 392 fax: +49 30 549932-21 | 12681 Berlin mailto:stephan.born_at_beusen.de | Germany
PGP-Key verfügbar | PGP-Key available