Re: UPDATE takes so long - any suggestions

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/03/02

Sally Madeira wrote:

> I have a simple query - I think it is to update the officenumber in a
> table. It is in the following format:
>
> UPDATE Table1
> SET OfficeNum = (SELECT Officenum
> FROM Table2
> WHERE cliNum = table1.clinum)
>
> Not a problem but it take 20 minutes to update 50,000 records when i
> believe it should only a few minutes.....
>
> I have my indexes I believe set correctly. Any suggestions on how to
> increase the speed of this query. How could I do a mass update....
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful

Assuming you want to update every row in tab1 (ie no where clause) I would turn on a trace (alter session set sql_trace = true) and see whats going on...eg triggers firing, foreign keys missingn indexes etc

Also maybe have a look at your alert log for 'cannot allocate' entries in case your log files are too small

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse