Re: oas installation

From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_DELETECAPSusa.net>
Date: 2000/03/02

Van,

I wish I could blame it only on NT, but no, they're on Sun as well.

One is the old limitation on the number of separate form fields (and therefore number of parameters in receiving PL/SQL procedure) for those using the PL/SQL cartridge to generate HTML and receive HTTP requests. I think the limitation used to be 22 or so. That was fixed, but then reintroduced with 4.0.8.0 and persisted in 4.0.8.1. You may want the patch for this. Solaris 7 and NT.

The other is the basic use of the content services. Turns out there's two ways to call upon the content services and upload a file using the browser. There's the way specified in the poorly written user guides for OAS (which worked in 4.0.7 and 4.0.7.1 -- I used it heavily in our production trouble ticket application). Then there's the brand new way using the new "parameterized" method. With 4.0.8.0 and 4.0.8.1, the old and simple method broke, but the new method worked. They suggested I rewrite my code. I suggested they get their heads screwed on straight and start to do some regression testing. This was a production app; I followed the user guide, it worked, my users loved it, and then the 4.0.8 developers broke my system. My users finally got so frustrated with all the symptoms popping up in 4.0.8, they finally abandoned my system and went back to Word to record their trouble tickets. This was OK though, it gave me time to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch which solved a lot of the other problems I was having (not mentioned here). It was at this point I decided to go to Solaris, hoping for a little more stability and better installs/uninstalls. I learned my lesson hard. From now on I'm staging any new versions from Oracle before I trust in minor, "incremental" upgrade versions, overwriting my production version. Anyway, the patch fixed this bug just fine. Solaris 7 and NT.

There's a third that probably won't affect most OAS users: turns out you could upload files through content services where the filename had a "#" character in its name. With 4.0.8 and 4.0.8.1, doing so crashes the wrks.exe on NT. I haven't requested or applied this patch for my Solaris install yet. I just applied to 2 important ones above. I'm waiting for 4.0.9 to cover the minor character bug and possibly other bugs I haven't heard of yet.