Re: Table Design question

From: <Barry_at_promaxis.com>
Date: 2000/02/29

Oracle uses only 1 byte to store empty fields. Blank fields at the end of a row do not even use a byte. ( or just 1 or 2 for them all )
So i recommend adding the details to the main table putting the most used set first and then next most used set and so on.

If you were updating the table this would be bad becasue you would need a very high pctfree to accomadate expansion of all the detail fields. But since you said this is a query only table create it with a pctfree of 0 which will allow more rows per block.

Barry Evans
Promaxis Systems Inc