Question: Oracle Admin under Linux with SVRMGR

From: Clemens Sietas <csietas_at_lhsystemsas.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 09:30:44 +0100

Hi,
after finally succeeding in installing Oracle under Linux I have some question about database administration.

Under Linux I have created a user 'oracle' in group 'dba'. The whole path /opt/oracle/ belongs to user 'oracle' in group 'dba'.

The oracle_sid is 'ORCL'
What does the oracle_sid stands for?
This is not the database, is it?
Is it the instance? What is an instance?

I logged in as user 'oracle'.
I started the svrmgr with svrmgrl.
What happens with the following statement? SVRMGR> connect internal

What happens now?
SVRMGR> startup nomount pfile=....initORCL.ora In initORCL.ora I stated a database "MyData" which does not yet exist. Is this possible?
Why does the svrmgr report database ORACLE started? Is the executable is started? I have not created a database ORACLE.

SVRMGR> @createMyDatabase.sql

createMyDatabase.sql

| create database MyData maxfiles....;

Is the database now open? What does open mean (startup vs. open)?

Unfortunately the above command failed since the svrmgr was not able to create a orapw (password) file in path ../dbs.... Do I have to create the file before executing the create command? The directory has r/w access and is in group dba. So why was svrmgr not able to write the password file???

Thanks for any help
Clemens
clemens.sietas_at_lhsystems.com Received on Tue Feb 29 2000 - 02:30:44 CST