Need help with database/forms design, please...

From: Richard Hollingsworth <william.hollingsworth_at_hsv.boeing.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:34:06 GMT

Hi folks. Thanks for reading this.

I need your help with a design issue associated with checknoxes.

I have a db (8.5) that currently has a field called "Affected CPCI". It is a text field, 30 chars long.

On the form (2.1) I have 5 checkboxes under this label. They are...

  1. Software
  2. Hardware
  3. Documentation
  4. Work Flow
  5. Other

Here's the problem. This field "Affected CPCI" needs to be capable of accepting multiple choices. That's why I chose checkboxes. For example, the problem report could affect both Software and Documentation.

How do I define this field to accept multiple choices? I can (and currently do) just append the choices together in the field on say a form exit trigger. This puts all choices in the field seperated by commas, but makes it hard to do querries on the field.

What would yo suggest to be the best method for defining this field and the form inputs so that the field will handle multiple choices and the querry process will be simple?

Thanks for your input....

Richard H. Received on Mon Feb 28 2000 - 09:34:06 CST