Re: HELP RMAN Best Practices

From: Eugene Firyago <efiryago_at_bisys.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:08:22 -0500

Van,

  1. You can't use RMAN to make a cold database backup. So it doesn't really make sense to bring a database down from RMAN to do then a cold backup.
  2. I would run ARCHIVELOG mode for at least your production databases (even not for all of them) to take advantages of RMAN and online database backup.
  3. Instead of RMAN I would use Oracle Enterprise Manager for databases startup/shutdown purposes from the OEM's Instance Manager on Windows PC. That way you can save init parameters of all your remote databases in the Windows' repository and manage them through this tool.
  4. I am using OEM's Backup Manager to schedule backup jobs for several production databases through RMAN. It is convenient and works well.

Regards,
Eugene.