Re: I was referred here for advice

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/02/27

Pam, It seems to me that the hot spots in IT right now have to do with web based development. Some knowledge of HTML or an HMTL generator like Front-Page or Oracle Web server wouldn't hurt. Java/javascript is also hot.

I think Van is right that you need to gain access to the software if you want to pass the OCP Developer examinations. I do not think you will be able to do it just by attending a class, but I could be wrong. Still I find that I need actual hands on practive with the material I recieve in a class or read in the book to really learn and be able to remember it. If you can get your OCP before working in the field it will probably help you find that first job.

Getting that first job is always one of the hardest things to do. The industry has people needs right now and if you make a dedicated effort to prepare to work in IT there are places that will want you. It is just a matter of you and the right employer crossing paths at the right time. Do not give up it takes time to find that employer.

In article <2%Ct4.4185$Zh4.648221_at_newshog.newsread.com>,   "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote:
> It is definitely possible. But without experience you will have
 a hard
> time getting work. See if you can work for or with a friend,
 relative,
> neighbor for a year or so even if it's for free. Then you can claim a
> year's experience and enter the field.
> Set up a Windows NT machine at home to try things out. You can
 register
> as a developer on Oracle's web site for free, then have access to
> documentation. For $39.95 you can get a trial copy of Oracle for
 your NT
> box. The best way to learn is to try things.
> Finally, pick a question on this site every day and do the
 research
> necessary to give a correct answer.
>
> Van
>
> Pam Stevens <pkstevens_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I have just begun the journey into a career change into the IT
 field.
> > Before attending any career seminars, I was focusing on MCSE, but
 during
> > my information gathering stage, I believe that an Oracle position
 would
> > be better in the long run. I am not currently employed in an IT
 field,
> > and realize that I'm not going to take a course or two, get
 certified,
> > and be hired on as a Fortune 500 companies top DBA. My current
 plan is
> > to take an Intro to Oracle 8 course. The facility offering this
 course
> > claims that it is thorough prep for the first two exams toward
 Oracle 8
> > certification, and would prepare me for an entry level position
 writing
> > code as a database developer.
> >
> > Most of the people I've asked for advice don't seem to realize that
 I'm

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.