waht to buy?

From: Student <student_at_chec.scu.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 16:28:28 +1100

To whom it may concern,

My name is John Burke, an I.T student at the Coffs Harbour Education Campus. As a component of our studies here at TAFE we are required to play the role of Software System Consultant to a medium size business. This project asks us to present a report outlining a variety of software and hardware options that would satisfy the needs of the 'client'. We are also asked to make recommendations based on our 'good judgement'. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about the types of software which would be suitable in this situation. In order to learn more about how to consult I am seeking your advice. Any help or suggestions your company could give would be very gratefully received. If, due to any reason whatsoever, you decide not to assist me, I thank you for taking the time to read this far. If, on the other hand, you decide to offer a helping hand, I invite you to read on. (I'll keep it brief.)
The scenario is as follows:
An organisation not unlike the RACQ is seeking a database system that will store and manage records pertaining to affiliated motels, campgrounds and service stations. The database also must store large numbers of graphic files. It will operate throughout Australia with a server located in Sydney. Security is moderately important. Complex, condition dependant queries and update queries will be extensively used. Advanced desktop publishing is also required for producing periodic pamphlets based on geographical location, standard of service and other subject specific conditions. E.g. Touring the Wine Country or Major Cities of the East Coast. That is the basic skeleton of the clients' needs.
Ideally I am looking for suggestions of possible solutions, ballpark costs or past reports you have submitted to clients. (The more the better) Naturally, I am happy to accept much less than the ideal. Any information you may pass on, (web sites, colleagues contact details, polite rejections), will be helpful to me. As a very keen I.T. student, soon to be professional, I value all the exposure I can get. I am also happy to forward a copy of the completed report to you if you are interested in seeing where your input ends up.
Thank you for your time taken to consider my request. Should you be interested in knowing more about this project please see the attached document. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Kind regards

John Burke

Find us at: http://chwww.scu.edu.au/ Received on Sun Feb 27 2000 - 23:28:28 CST