Re: One char in - different one out

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:43:01 +0100

run
select * from nls_session_parameters on both databases and look for 'NLS_LANGUAGE' (if it is not in session_parameters it is either in database or instance parameters)

Chances are your client has been set to US7ASCII. In your 7 bit database no conversion will take place (Oracle just 'accepts' any inserted character) upon retrieval, and your PC has been set to 8-bit character. In your 8-bit database conversion upon retrieval WILL occur, hence you loose the 8th bit.
Resolution: change your NLS_LANGUAGE registry key or environment variable to 8-bit.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA