Re: Platform choice

From: James Hanway <hanwayj_at_NOSPAM.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:33:54 GMT

Personally, I would stick with UNIX. Granted, NT has all the nice GUI's to administrate things, even on the Oracle end of things. But I have found that DBA's like to use the command line, and UNIX seems to be much easier to administrate that way. At first I liked Oracle on NT because it hid alot of things. But as I started to have to administrate things, I found it not as easy as UNIX.

As to what type of UNIX? Solaris, HP-UX and Digital Alpha seem to be the top 3. Personally, I like Digital UNIX as its been at 64-bit longer then solaris, but as I said, its strictly a personal choice

As echoed in this thread, the main things that should be looked at is: memory - I like 512meg+ if budget permits; I/O bandwidth; disk storage; and if its in a heavily used client-server environment, a good fast reliable network (100-mbit).

My $0.02 worth.