Re: Platform choice

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:42:55 GMT

IMHO, it all depends on what you want to do with the data..There will be different needs, environments, etc for Transaction Processing than for DSS or Data Warehouse apps,,,

In general tho' -
Solaris is Oracle 'native' flavor and it releases updates for that platform first...

Lots on RAM ( 512K and up for large use)

Fast processor(s) - use parallel processing whenever possible....

Lots of disk space - and a good RAID ing setup ( Oracle Tuning manuals will have details )

Like most software - the more the better for RAM and Disk space - unlike some, however, Oracle can actually benefit from large increases....