Re: RAID v Mirror disk systems

From: Hakan Eren <heren_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 19:49:10 GMT

Hi

Mirroring means RAID-1, right? Anyway let's aggree on the definitions first:

RAID-1 is either disk mirroring or disk duplexing.   Good in large transactions, good i/o, excellent data availability, moderate storage capacity
RAID-0 Striping
  Exellent in large transactions, very good i/o, poor data availability, excellent storage capacity
RAID-5 striping with parity
  Very good in large transactions, good i/o, very good data availability, very good storage capacity

My experience:
I would go for read-only apps/data and no-update with RAID 5 I would go for the rest with RAID 0+1

The life is always more complicated than we whought so ideal solution would be balanced RAID 5 + RAID 0+1.

I should add if you are tight timewise go with RAID0+1. It laways work. Also I recommend hw-controlled RAID not sw-controlled.

Good Luck

Hakan