RMAN fails to start database

From: Van Messner <vmessnerNOvmSPAM_at_discovernet.com.invalid>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:27:01 -0800

   I have an NT machine with 8.1.5 and OEM installed. This machine will eventually hold the RMAN repository.

   I also have a Sun Solaris 2.7 server with 8.1.5 installed. This is the target. The target is in archive mode.

   For both the NT machine and the target user SYS has SYSDBA.    From the NT machine I can launch RMAN and connect to the target as sys. I can shut down the database on the target. But I cannot restart the database. I get an RMAN error message 04014 that says there is a problem with the pfile.

   However I can use svrmgrl on the NT machine and the same startup command with the same pfile and successfully start the database.

   Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Van