Re: Anyone have any feedback regarding Oracle Web Application Server for use in

From: Pascal Glauser <glauser_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:47:50 GMT

Hi bill

In article <JbLs4.2171$x3.3600_at_wormhole.dimensional.com>,   "Bill Coulam" <bcoulam_at_DELETECAPSusa.net> wrote:
> I've been part of two projects using it from 1997 to today. One with
> version
> 3.0.2 (+ 10 patches) for a user base of about 5000. One with version
< 4.0.8.1
> (+ 3 patches) for a user base of about 150. I believe the CNN.COM and
> other
> large consumer-oriented sites are based on OAS. We mainly used it
> because
> Oracle was one of the first vendors out there with an application
> server; we
> were trying to keep our number of vendors down; and we had PL/SQL
> talent (to
> use the PL/SQL cartridge) but not Java, CGI, Perl, etc.

skip

> I just haven't used the competing app servers in anything other than
> play
> mode, so I can't say whether the competition is any better when it
> comes to
> bug-free. If you use it, go straight to 4.0.8.1 on NT (SP5 40-bit or
> Solaris
> 2.7) I think 4.0.9 is expected in March (but then again 4.0.8 was
> expected
> in April '99 and finally released in October). If you've got the
> talent,
> develop your dynamic site with Java servlets.

That's what I feel, too. But I am lacking a little bit the _hard_ arguments. What makes you so sure (there are only few web-sites with servelts at the moment, I think)?

skip

> But for some odd reason they can't
> figure out how to have an OAS instance receiving requests from any
> webserver other than one installed on the same box as OAS! Our company
> standard webserver is IIS. So when I migrated OAS from NT to Solaris
> recently, I shot myself in the foot since now I am _forced_ to use the
> built-in Spyglass webserver that comes with OAS on Solaris.

Is spyglass unusable (for certain taskt, perhaps) ?

>MS doesn't
> make
> IIS for Solaris as far as I know and never will. Ridiculous! In this
> world
> of distributed computing, why can't a webserver at IP address A, port
> B sent
> a RPC or TCP/IP message to OAS at IP address C, port D?
>
> Best of luck,
> - bill c.
>
> "Renney Thomas" <renney_at_cris.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone have any feedback regarding Oracle Web Application Server for
> > use
> in
> > mission critical
> > areas? Is it reliable? How is the design in general? What are the
> > alternatives (application web servers) if you
> > feel Oracle Web Application Server is a bad choice?

Thank you
Pascal Glauser

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Feb 23 2000 - 14:47:50 CST