Re: Anyone have any feedback regarding Oracle Web Application Server for use in

From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_DELETECAPSusa.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 23:34:08 -0700

I've been part of two projects using it from 1997 to today. One with version 3.0.2 (+ 10 patches) for a user base of about 5000. One with version 4.0.8.1 (+ 3 patches) for a user base of about 150. I believe the CNN.COM and other large consumer-oriented sites are based on OAS. We mainly used it because Oracle was one of the first vendors out there with an application server; we were trying to keep our number of vendors down; and we had PL/SQL talent (to use the PL/SQL cartridge) but not Java, CGI, Perl, etc.

Now that I'm experienced with it and much wiser I'd hesitate. My life with Oracle products seems to be waiting for the next patch. I guess it's because I'm always needing later features they've introduced that usually don't have all the kinks worked out. Luckily I always got my patches just in the nick of time, but had their support not been so quick...of course it would be even better if they had a full quality assurance and regression test methodology in place.

I just haven't used the competing app servers in anything other than play mode, so I can't say whether the competition is any better when it comes to bug-free. If you use it, go straight to 4.0.8.1 on NT (SP5 40-bit or Solaris 2.7) I think 4.0.9 is expected in March (but then again 4.0.8 was expected in April '99 and finally released in October). If you've got the talent, develop your dynamic site with Java servlets.

By the way I find one thing really aggravating about it. It has, and has had for some time, all these nifty distributed and fault-tolerant features allowing you to modularly install pieces of it on different nodes, have multiple instances of the same piece for load balancing, built-in connection pooling and other awesome features. But for some odd reason they can't figure out how to have an OAS instance receiving requests from any webserver other than one installed on the same box as OAS! Our company standard webserver is IIS. So when I migrated OAS from NT to Solaris recently, I shot myself in the foot since now I am _forced_ to use the built-in Spyglass webserver that comes with OAS on Solaris. MS doesn't make IIS for Solaris as far as I know and never will. Ridiculous! In this world of distributed computing, why can't a webserver at IP address A, port B sent a RPC or TCP/IP message to OAS at IP address C, port D?

Anyway, we recently had Sun/Netscape come demo their stuff. Rock solid, particularly suited for high-volume web sites.

We have Silverstream coming to demo their newest app server tomorrow. After that I'm looking at WebLogic and WebSphere before I make a final decision.

Best of luck,
- bill c.