Re: Bypassing RBS

From: <tandym_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:01:32 GMT

> I seem to remeber that commits inside PL/SQL dont actually release
any RBS
> extents until the whole procedure has finished.

True - just ran into that today, as a matter of fact. Though this application was using forms and calling an update_database_procedure that used a 'post' instead of a commit - sure was ugly. Thousands of bills were being processed, and if someone wasn't around to hit <return> (to escape the PL/SQL block that contained the 'post') when the cycle was finished, all the billing tables were locked and noone could do anything. I recommend using the copy command, personally - very simple, just be sure to use the dashes at the end of the lines. Also, type it up in a script beforehand so that you can go back and edit it, as it doesn't funtion in SQLPlus the same way the regular commands do. It is also fairly fast.

sonya

> Jos <jga.wolters_at_abp.nl> wrote in message news:88r9o6$b63_at_sunsv007...
> > Hi,
> >
> > There are two solutions without need for large rollback segments...
> >
> > Use the copy statement unser SQL*Plus where you can commit after
array
> > insert.
> > or
> > Write a little pl/sql program where can you commit...
> >
> > Jos
> >
> > Jerome Moinet <jmoinet_at_netcourrier.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> > 88jqdc$fhg$1_at_ssauraaa-i-1.production.compuserve.com...
> > > Thank you for your help.
> > >
> > > But what i am trying to do is to load a table T1 into a table T2,
T1 is
> > > quite huge (let's say 3Go), using a insert into T1 select * from
T2.
> What
> > is
> > > happening is that the RBS is too small, and i can't increase it
size.
> (no
> > > disk left...)
> > >
> > > So i would like Oracle not to use the RBS. I've been told of
parameters
> > used
> > > in the database init file to bypass the RBS use. I just would
like to
> > > restart the database with these parameters, duplicate T1 contents,
> remove
> > > the parameters and restart the database. This is a test database,
and it
> > > will be destroyed after the use i want to do with it.
> > >
> > > if anyone have a solution, thank you by advance.
> > >
> > > I'm using Oracle 8.0.6, so the 8i solution doesn't work.
> > >
> > > "Mario Bucsics" <mario.bucsicsNOmaSPAM_at_siemens.at.invalid> a
écrit dans
> le
> > > message news: 194a330b.803d4a7d_at_usw-ex0102-014.remarq.com...

Discussion
> > Network
> > > *
Usenet -
> Free!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Feb 22 2000 - 15:01:32 CST