Re: Rollback Contention

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:13:18 GMT

> Can anyone please tell me a quick and easy way of establishing if he is
> right. My rollback segments are configured as follows:-

You can query V$WAITSTAT to see if there is contention for rollback segments. Try this:

   SELECT class,SUM(count) FROM v$waitstat GROUP BY class;

If you see SUM(count)>0 for the following classes:   undo header, undo block, system undo header, system undo block then you have rollback contention. Increase the number of rollback segments.

> No of Rollback segments 35

Oracle recommends no more than 50 rollback segments (according to the Rule of 4).

> Initial Extent 1M Next 1M

You don't say what the MINEXTENTS and MAXEXTENTS parameters are.

> Optimal Size 10M

You might want to V$ROLLSTAT to make sure that your rollback segments aren't experiencing high levels of extending and shrinking.

HTH,
Brian

--

Brian Peasland