Re: Resouce busy error and indexes

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:53:41 GMT

In article <88rpfk$9mp$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   robertchung0909_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I am trying to create small indexes on tables when users are accessing
> them, but getting following error:
>
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00054: resource busy and acquire with NOWAIT specified
>
> I get this error even when I lock the table in exclusive mode. Is
> there something that I can do? I do not want to kick users out or go
> through database maintenance outage just for a couple of small
> indexes. Thank you in advance.

I hate it when Oracle lets me drop the index, but I can't get the lock to put it back. When that happens your choices basically are:

  1. Keep trying, eventually you might issue the command when no outstanding updates against the table exist
  2. Look at the sessions accessing the table for a runaway or dead session where the front-end session is gone or the user just went to lunch without committing and kill them; then retry
  3. Terminate the users -- Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Feb 21 2000 - 11:53:41 CST